Saturday, February 16, 2013

Died and gone to cake heaven

I have been completely obsessed with the show Charly's Cake Angels since it first graced our living rooms with its presence. Visiting their bakery, Charly's Bakery, was probably one of my most memorable culinary journeys.


Me, my sister and two of our close friends embarked on our mission one beautiful Saturday morning, not one cloud in the sky and no trace of the ghastly wind.


After cruising up and down Cape Town's expertly planned collection of unexpected one-ways and streets so narrow two cars can barely pass each other, we reached our destination. Almost hidden between the buildings in Canterbury Street, stood the pink beacon of cake heaven I had so longed to visit. It looked every bit as breathtaking on the outside as I knew the baked goods on the inside would be.





The inside of the bakery greets you with a dazzling chandelier and an array of pastries, cakes, cupcakes and more. I could barely contain my excitement when I realised that Charly's daughters Alexandra, Daniella and Roche were sitting behind the counter adding intricate detailing to their latest creations. I got even more starstruck when Charly's wife, Jacqui, was my cashier.



I picked one of their most popular cakes, the Wicked Chocolate Cake. It was dense, rich and very, very chocolaty. So delicious you don't even think of the extra centimeters which are inevitably being packed on around your hips with every bite.

Ever since I saw the movie Matilda, I have been dreaming about the day I found a cake that was equally as enticing as the cake Bruce Bogtrotter was forced to it and I finally had. I was absolutely mortified when I couldn't manage to finish my piece.



Their cupcakes are also to die for. You can take your pick of a number of adorable designs. The 'Bite me' cupcake stole my heart.



If you live in Cape Town, visit Charly's Bakery from Tuesdays to Saturdays for your dose of cake heaven.

If you are unfortunately not in the position to pay them a visit, visit their website or catch Charly's Cake Angels on channel 174 on DSTV.

1 comment: