Monday, May 6, 2013

Berry, berry nice indeed

To celebrate my mother's birthday last week, me and my family visited Hillcrest Berry Orchards. Tucked away in Stellenbosch's Banhoek Valley, it is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful farms I have ever visited.

The main attraction is the restaurant where you can have a breakfast, lunch or high tea while looking out over the Banhoek Valley. Most of the dishes are complimented by a berry sauce or jam. I wasn't feeling adventurous enough, so I opted for a more traditional dish. The fish cakes which are served with a sweet chilli mayonnaise is perfect if you want to save room for dessert. And believe me, you want to.



My sister Lara had the chicken pie. Once she cracked open the golden pastry lid, I couldn't stop myself from stealing a forkful from her plate. Succulent chicken and mushrooms smothered with a creamy gravy? Yes please!


 The desserts menu feature some of my all-time favourites. In the end, we decided to share a berry tart filled with crème patissière and a Belgian chocolate brownie. Both served with your choice of cream and ice cream.


On your way out, be sure to visit the shop where you can buy berries, honey and a number of other freshly produced goods. I was overjoyed to see that they sell lemon curd. Watch this space for an amazing lemon meringue cupcake recipe.

Hillcrest Berry Orchards is well worth the drive and a place I would love to visit again. Visit their website for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment